Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 09:02:44PM +0200, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> was heard to say:
> John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> > In English the familiar form has disappeared from common speech (except
> > for a few small groups).
>
> Off topic - but what was the familiar form? I always thought that "you"
> was the familiar form, while "Thee"/"Thou" is the old-fashioned, formal
> one ("Thy kingdom come, thy will be done..." (Lord's Prayer) or "Shall I
> compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more
> temperate..." (Shakespeare, Sonnet 18)).

  Actually, "Thee/Thou" was the *informal* form -- it only sounds formal
nowadays because most people only encounter it in school (Shakespeare)
and church (King Jimmy).

  Daniel

|            "But what *does* kill me bloody well leaves me dead!"            |
|              -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_                            |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/