Re: Bug in description of menu or bug in lintian: executable-in-usr-lib-menu

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 09:53:43AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm preparing new cdd-Packages and faced a new lintian error message:
>
>   E: cdd-common: executable-in-usr-lib-menu usr/lib/menu/cdd-menu 0755
>
> I think it is lintian bug.

99.9% [1] of files in usr-lib-menu should not be executable, so it is
reasonnable for lintian to issue a warning. However it is labelled as an
error (E:) here which is not in accordance with lintian definition of E:,
it should be W:.

> The doc in /usr/share/doc/menu/menu.txt.gz says something about
> non executables in the packages and making them executable in the
> postinst - but this seems to be stupid.

The menu manual say that menu-methods scripts should be non-executable
and made executable in the postinst.

However files in /usr/lib/menu are not menu-methods but menu files
and should not be handed this way.

> The maintainer of menu told Cosimo Alfarano to use this executable
> srcipt to accomplish a certain goal (it should only do something if
> a *user* calls update-menus, not if root calls it).  For this reason
> update-menus is neither called in postinst nor postrm by intention
> which can be fixed by lintian.overrides.  But in the case above I
> see no reason in providing a non executable and make it executable
> in the postinst.  Any reason for that?

For executables menu entries files, you must put them executable in the
.deb and do not mess with the x bit in postinst. Else update-menus could
choke while trying to parse the file if the installation abort.

I hope that clear your concerns,

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.

[1] This statistic was not made on the spot. Indeed you can check for
yourself at http://people.Debian.org/~ballombe/menu/menufiles.tgz that
only 1 over 1500 need the x bit.