Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:21:10AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> I see no reason why the debian administrators should waste their time
> with these solutions when the end recipients should be quite capable
> of setting up their system with exactly the spam strictness that is
> appropriate for them.

Figuring out which is the appropriate "Received by:" header, and
properly parsing it to determine which IP to check against RBLs is a
royal PITA.

This kind of checking needs to be done at the relay host and its MX's

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Actually, unfortunately there is there is. My mail servers regularly reject
> viruses that master.debian.org relays to me, and then it generates a bounce
> and this goes through to me. In the last few weeks I got around 107 such
> mails, 6.9 MB. If I had to directly pay for my bandwidth, I would have
> a strong urge to become violent.

I'm in the same boat.. I have some mail forwarded to me by d.o, some
comes directly, and some via fetchmail.

79 rejects, causing master.d.o to bounce in the last two days.
185 before I stopped allowing the bounces to come back to me.

I now trap those rejections no master instead of them hitting my home

And, whilst I could add -N (--noreject) to clamav-milter, I'm loathe to
do so because of the amount of direct mail handled by my machine -
especially on my laptop that often lives in the IBM domain where I need
the ability to track the rejections (and to whom they went).
Rick Nelson
Since when has the purpose of debian been to appease the interests of the
mass of unskilled consumers?        -- Steve Shorter