Re: libcurl2 7.12.0-1 breakage and its removal from unstable

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:46:50PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:54:14AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> >   my latest curl upload has been very unlucky, i did not notice the
> > change in libcurl soname (#252348, #252442, ...).
> >
> > given the particular moment for the distribution (and the pretty long
> > list of programs to be recompiled against the new library) it's probably
> > not a great idea to upload the package with a new library soname. hence i
> > need to revert to the previous version (correct me if i'm wrong please).
> >
> > i'm currently seeing three solutions:
> [...]
> > 3) removal of curl 7.12.0-1 from unstable.
> >
> > i'm writing to understand how broken is 3).
> [...]
>
> It simply won't happen afaik.
>
> Packages are not removed from sid (unless they are completely removed
> from Debian). Similar issues have always been resolved by uploading
> with a higher version number.

indeed i'm not confident on this being seconded.

> On irc somebody[1] proposed an ugly workaround for your problem,
> fixing the mess in sid, while not releasing with an ugly version
> number in sarge, by using the ugly version number in sid but keeping
> it from propagating to sarge with a dummy rc-bug tagged "sid".
>
> Of course this will only work until you need/want to change the
> version in sarge.

hmm.. very interesting. it's the least ugly solution i'm seeing and
could work flawlessly. in the case i need to update the testing version
i would switch easily on the 2).

now i need only to hear the final word from ftpmasters.

many thanks Andreas.

cheers
domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50