Re: libcurl2 7.12.0-1 breakage and its removal from unstable

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:54:14AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
>   my latest curl upload has been very unlucky, i did not notice the
> change in libcurl soname (#252348, #252442, ...).
>
> given the particular moment for the distribution (and the pretty long
> list of programs to be recompiled against the new library) it's probably
> not a great idea to upload the package with a new library soname. hence i
> need to revert to the previous version (correct me if i'm wrong please).
>
> i'm currently seeing three solutions:
[...]
> 3) removal of curl 7.12.0-1 from unstable.
>
> i'm writing to understand how broken is 3).
[...]

It simply won't happen afaik.

Packages are not removed from sid (unless they are completely removed
from Debian). Similar issues have always been resolved by uploading
with a higher version number.

On irc somebody[1] proposed an ugly workaround for your problem,
fixing the mess in sid, while not releasing with an ugly version
number in sarge, by using the ugly version number in sid but keeping
it from propagating to sarge with a dummy rc-bug tagged "sid".

Of course this will only work until you need/want to change the
version in sarge.

             cu andreas
PS: Please take this with a grain of salt, I am not ftp-master and not
speaking ex-cathedra.

[1] I lost patience while waiting for "ok please quote"