Re: Lost Trust

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:16, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:05:18AM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > * Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> [040602 01:54]:
> > > Also, vendors in the USA may be required by law to not release the
> > > source in order to comply with FCC regulations.
> >
> > Has anyone any source or quote for this? I searched for it and found
> > nothing, I've never seen any hint of a proof in any former discussion.
> > Until someone comes up with any more substantial proof than
> > "they may" or "I've heared", I hereby claim this to be at least
> > an urban legend, most probably simply FUD.
> madwifi

Thanks Matt, I use that driver, but I did not know about that:

Quote from the madwifi README:

The ath_hal module contains the Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL).
This code manages much of the chip-specific operation of the driver.
The HAL is provided in a binary-only form in order to comply with
local regulatory agency requirements.  In the United States the FCC
mandates a radio transmitter can only be operated at power levels
and on frequency channels for which it is approved.  The FCC requires
that a software-defined radio cannot be configured by a user to
operate outside the approved power levels and frequency channels.
This makes it difficult to open-source code that enforces limits
on the power levels, frequency channels and other parameters of the
radio transmitter.  See

for the specific FCC regulation.  Regulations for other agencies
are similar (often more stringent).  Because the module is provided
in a binary-only form it is marked "Proprietary"; this means when
you load it you will see messages that your system is now "tainted".

So it should be possible to put the code into non-us...