Re: Lost Trust

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:03:21PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 08:11:53PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> >
> > Please come up with a meaningful difference between putting non-free
> > peripheral software needed only for a few rare pieces of hardware (the actual
> > case with the tg3 driver) into 'main', and putting any other piece of
> > non-free  software in 'main'.
>
> I would *not* call tg3 driven hardware rare. It's becoming more and more
> common in new boxen that one purchases. Seems to be rapidly displacing
> Intel, which isn't necessarily a good thing, given Broadcom's track record
> for disclosing pertinent information.

No, but the firmware is only needed for one model of the TG3, and that
model _is_ rare.  The rest of them works just fine without the firmware.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //