Re: Problems with Pre-Depends

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 12:59:21AM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> I was playing with Pre-Depends as possible solution for one of my
> Packages:

> OpenGroupware.org uses some kind of configuration database of
> libFoundation, which can be manipulated with a tool nemd "Defaults". I
> write entries with Defaults write $DOMAIN $KEY $VALUE and read them with
> Defaults read $DOMAIN $KEY.

> In a config script I want to populate a debconf dialog with values from
> this database if there are already some present. However I would need
> the Defaults tool then and thus Pre-Depend on it.

> 1) Is using a Pre-Depends in such a case acceptable?

No.  Pre-depends have no bearing on the use of config scripts.  A config
script may reference only essential packages and debconf itself.  You
can't even reference tools in your *own* package, since it will
frequently not be unpacked at the time the config script is run.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer