Re: Kernel Image 2.6.6 SE/Linux i386 .deb available for experimentation

    >> you will find that i have NOT updated any revision numbers; nor

    Russell> This is not a good idea.  When someone files a bug report
    Russell> we won't know who's version they have a problem with.

It also can confuse the hell out of apt-get: apt-get constantly tries
to "upgrade" the package even though it is just reinstalling exactly
the same version (disclaimer: I haven't tested this for a while
now). The packaging architecture was never designed to cope with two
versions of the sample package with the same version number (consider
/var/cache/apt/archives, which can only hold one such package at a
time). I think apt-cacher might have similar issues, not sure about
apt-proxy, it might be OK.

Typical convention is to add a unique string to the end of the version
number, and create a new Debian changelog entry with the changes you
made, eg. when I backport for stable, I add .bam.1 to the version
number (and increment the 1 as appropriate).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>