Re: @debian.org email forwarding and SPF

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 02:14:56PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> * Marco d'Itri (md@Linux.IT) wrote:

> > > Please elaborate.
> > SPF for minor gain breaks too many useful features of email, like being
> > able to use the mail server of your ISP for all your mail (which is what
> > we have been telling users to do in the last years) or easily forward
> > mail.
> > And again, deployment of SPF will not prevent or significantly reduce
> > spamming.
>
> SPF does not prevent you from doing any such thing. You merely have to
> make sure that the envelope from address on the mail you send through
> your ISP is your email at your ISP. Eg if your isp is bigisp.com, then
> your envelope from needs to be somedude@bigisp.com.

Err, suppose that:
- I have some ISP that only provides webmail -- now I need to go look
  there for bounces?
- I don't want bounces to go to some other box than my real replies
- I have multiple people using email, using different accounts on my own
  server. But I have only one emailadress with my ISP. So now all
  bounces must be shared by everybody?
- I have an ISP that doesn't provide email at all?

Setting the envelope to your ISP isn't always feasable -- the envelope
is for bounces, and one sometimes does not want bounces to go to one's
ISP.

In my own case, my ISP doesn't even provide email (everybody is supposed
to use university mail or the like, but we _do_ have an outgoing SMTP
server).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar