Re: providing non-file data in a debian package

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 21:53, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:27:09PM +0200, Oliver Kurth wrote:
>
> > What is the best approach to do this? The file has to be part of the
> > package, but should be deleted just after the dd. My idea is to package
> > it as /tmp/zImage ( /tmp/ is on a ram disk, and there should be enough
> > space).
> >
> > Is there a better way? Are there problems to be expected by putting it
> > on /tmp, and deleting it just after the install in postinst?
>
> /tmp seems rather inappropriate.  I suggest putting it in a more normal
> place, and mounting a ramdisk there, if that is what you need.

What do you mean by 'more normal'? Something in /var?

The location is not the point, as long as it's on ram disk (I also want
to avoid wearing out the CF card, and save space on it). More important
for me is if it is 'allowed' to delete a file that is part of the
package.

Another solution could be to have it as part of the debian package,
without having it copied to the filesystem, and extracting it by another
way. But I do not know if that is possible.

Greetings,
Oliver