Removing system accounts on --purge

Hello all,

I recently filed a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/249354) on a package
because I felt it did not clean up after itself.  The problem was the
package creates a system user account, and does not remove it on purge.
The maintainer disagrees, and says that system accounts should never be
removed by packages.  I disagree, but do not feel hugely strongly about
it - I ask mostly because I also maintain a package which creates a system
account, only I _do_ remove them on purge.  I am wondering which way
people think is the correct way to handle this?

Thanks,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |