Re: Removing system accounts on --purge

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 05:28:34PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:

> I recently filed a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/249354) on a package
> because I felt it did not clean up after itself.  The problem was the
> package creates a system user account, and does not remove it on purge.
> The maintainer disagrees, and says that system accounts should never be
> removed by packages.  I disagree, but do not feel hugely strongly about
> it - I ask mostly because I also maintain a package which creates a system
> account, only I _do_ remove them on purge.  I am wondering which way
> people think is the correct way to handle this?

If the user is used by a single package, removing is safe/reasonable.
That's not true when the account is possibly used by other packages.
Generally every package should use his own system account, but
that's not always true. Anyway, I think that's a point to be clarified
in Policy...

--
Francesco P. Lovergine