Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:27:58PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
> > Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > >Messages from non-subscribers or non-registered people would not count as
> > >"false positives" since the list policy would be to not allow such posts.
> >
> > This is not a desirable policy. If you want solutions, could you please
> > consider those that don't contain an implicit change in current policy?
>
> For example? Did you read my initial message? I'll summarize:
>
> I propose to close the lists.
>
> Those who disagree please propose a *better* solution.
>

> What I propose would be simple, effective, it would only require a
> small amount of time from posters (the time required to subscribe to
> the white list, which has to be done only once), and it would be easy
> to implement (since the white list already exists).

I personally refuse to close the lists in general, and will only close
individual lists if a large enough proportion of the list agrees to do
so. Too many people choose not to post again when they get a "posting
has been denied" email, to consider it a viable thing to do. There is
still a large number of people posting on lists who are not subscribed
to the whitelist or the list they're posting to.

	Cheers,

Pasc