Re: Definition of COUNTRY (Was: Resignation)

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 05:49:35PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Dale Amon (amon@vnl.com):
> > The only authority on what is a nation are the people who live
> > there. When in doubt, ask them.
>
> Which ones, catholics or orangists (I don't remember the common
> name)?

"Protestants". "Orangemen" is a more loaded term, and best avoided as a
general description of that side of the community. (And anyway the
denominations aren't really an accurate categorization, but this isn't
the place for that discussion ...)

> No offense intended here, but I think you get the point.

Actually there's pretty much no argument about which nation Northern
Ireland is part of today. There's a great deal of argument about which
nation it *should* be part of, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone
dispute its current status (and I grew up in the side of the community
who are generally less likely to be happy with the current status).

Furthermore, nobody thinks Northern Ireland is a nation by itself
(except for the purposes of some sports, which aren't relevant here), so
there isn't a good analogy between it and Taiwan. From
debian-installer's point of view it's a non-issue: I think the only
place Northern Ireland is alluded to at all is in the Europe/Belfast
choice in timezone configuration.