Generation of locales (was Re: Resignation)

[debian-boot removed]

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:40:20AM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
[...]
> I think we should look at POSIX locales as a model:

What are these POSIX locales?

> it is basically impossible to come up with a set of countries /
> territories that does not offend someone. In the POSIX locales model,
> they managed to sidestep this issue by _not_ generating a list of
> territories, but creating a model where users could add their own with
> 'localeconf'.
> While we ship a bunch of locales in the locales package, we don't
> claim that they are definitive and users can change them.

Do you mean localedef?  In that case this is untrue, localedef embeds an
hardcoded list of valid values (see locale/iso-{639,3166,4217}.def in
glibc sources) which cannot be changed at run-time.

Denis