Re: What populates /etc/dm/Sessions/ ? currently gdm in sarge only displays gnome

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:20:00AM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Hiya Walter,
>
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:41:03PM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> > apparently this is not a gdm bug? At least if
> > one reads http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=241096
>
> > Just curious as how to report this problem, i.e., what kde
> > package would be responsible for example for populating
> > /etc/dm/Sessions, assumming this is the way to get Sessions
> > to appear in gdm....
>
> When I went through this the other day apparently the one true way to
> provide .desktop files is to ship them in /usr/share/xsessions which gdm
> reads.  GDM's docs say KDM reads this too.  Current KDM in Debian
> doesn't but Chris Cheney said he'd fix it (#247365).  KDM doesn't read
> /etc/dm/Session either contrary to GDM's changelog.

KDM not reading /etc/dm/Session is not contrary to what GDM's docs say
(docs/C/gdm.xml), although yes gdm's changelog is incorrect, it
specifically states that is a GDM only dir, and yes all WM's should
be sticking their .desktop files into /usr/share/xsessions/ instead.

The dirs gdm mentions are:

/etc/gdm		- gdm config dir and old location for gdm sessions
/etc/dm/Sessions	- .desktop dir for gdm (should go away?)
/etc/X11/sessions/	- .desktop dir for gdm/kdm generic dir (admin use)
/usr/share/xsessions	- .desktop dir for gdm/kdm generic dir (package use)

Thanks,
Chris