Re: What populates /etc/dm/Sessions/ ? currently gdm in sarge only displays gnome

Hiya Walter,

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:41:03PM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> apparently this is not a gdm bug? At least if
> one reads http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=241096

> Just curious as how to report this problem, i.e., what kde
> package would be responsible for example for populating
> /etc/dm/Sessions, assumming this is the way to get Sessions
> to appear in gdm....

When I went through this the other day apparently the one true way to
provide .desktop files is to ship them in /usr/share/xsessions which gdm
reads.  GDM's docs say KDM reads this too.  Current KDM in Debian
doesn't but Chris Cheney said he'd fix it (#247365).  KDM doesn't read
/etc/dm/Session either contrary to GDM's changelog.

So I think all you need is updated window manager packages which ship
.desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions and then they will appear in both
GDM and KDM.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/     "JarJar Binks^W^WSupport /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/    for CRLF<->LF translation /**