On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:09:18 -0400, Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> said:

> Stephen Ryan writes:

>>> That is very offensive.  Please retract your accusation or provide
>>> some basis to support it.
>>
>> Fair enough; if you provide a reason to even bring up the subject
>> of distinguishing "code" from "data" in the first place, I'll
>> retract, with the humblest apologies I can muster.

> I want to distinguish between software and other data because I
> prefer to use English in a precise way, and because I think that is

	There is wide support for software being defined as !hardware,
 and that can make for a pretty precise use of the language as well.

> consistent with the broader usage[1].  [1]- See, for example,
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html

	I prefer

Freedoms for Documentation

Analogous to the software program freedoms, we need to articulate the freedoms
required for the subset of software called documentation.

 1. The freedom to read the text, for any purpose.
 2. The freedom to study how the text is written, and adapt it to your needs.
    Access to the text in the preferred form for modification is a precondition
    for this. This includes the ability to modify the work to fit in low memory
    situations, reference cards, PDA's, embedded devices, etc.
 3. Freedom to reformat the document into a preferred format or medium
    (converting to braille, or speech, or hardcopy, or postscript, etc).
 4. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
 5. The freedom to improve the text, and release your improvements to the
    public, so that the whole community benefits. Access to the preferred form
    for modification is a precondition for this. For program documentation,
    this implies being able to change the documentation to reflect the changes
    in the program.
 6. Freedom to translate the text into any other language.
 7. The freedom to keep your modifications, or even your possession of a copy
    of the text, confidential.

There is some concern that the requirements to list the authors of the
modification on the title page and the history sections of the GFDL covered
work (especially since these sections are otherwise invariant) appear to
prohibit anonymous modifications to a document. (This may fail the Dissident
Test).

(http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml).

	manoj

--
"Insanity is the exception in individuals.  In groups, parties,
people, and times, it is the rule." Nietzche