Joshua Kwan wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:25:36 -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>> I certainly hope such a GR isn't passed.  I didn't agree with the
>> original exemptions given to them and would prefer not to knowingly
>> release non-free items in main.
> I'd considered it a necessary evil that allows Debian to work more
> smoothly on more esoteric systems or systems with much newer hardware that
> is currently only supported by binary blob fortified drivers.

> With regards to other distros, we're currently the only one being so
> pedantic about this kind of thing. Why bother?
Debian has a Social Contract.  *No* other distro does.

> Yes, it's a matter of principle, but a considerable number of people have
> been tirelessly slaving over RC bugs to allow the sarge freeze to occur as
> soon as possible. Their work has largely gone to waste now as hundreds
No, the bugs still had to be fixed.  No waste.

> more RC bugs are awaiting packages pending a full audit.
Well, AJ refused to do the audit a year ago when the problems were found,
due to his perverse and nonstandard interpretation of the Social Contract.

> This is a bad idea. I will say, however, that I did *not* vote on this GR:
> strapped for time, I read the original call for votes as something trivial
> -- just some janitorial work to the social contract that did not change
> anything meaningful.
It *didn't* change anything meaningful!

> The proposal failed to include a summary of the
> changes or even something like a wdiff(1) of the two versions.
Those were sent to debian-vote repeatedly.

> I'm sure that in light of this thread, if the vote were to be re-done, the
> results would be significantly different.
I doubt it (maybe a higher turnout); you'd be surprised how many people knew
exactly what they were doing.

And it wouldn't matter much, anyway; Debian would still have a Social
Contract which required the same things.  Maybe AJ would be happy, because
he could return to his state of denial.