On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:25:36 -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> I certainly hope such a GR isn't passed.  I didn't agree with the
> original exemptions given to them and would prefer not to knowingly
> release non-free items in main.

I'd considered it a necessary evil that allows Debian to work more
smoothly on more esoteric systems or systems with much newer hardware that
is currently only supported by binary blob fortified drivers.

With regards to other distros, we're currently the only one being so
pedantic about this kind of thing. Why bother?

Yes, it's a matter of principle, but a considerable number of people have
been tirelessly slaving over RC bugs to allow the sarge freeze to occur as
soon as possible. Their work has largely gone to waste now as hundreds
more RC bugs are awaiting packages pending a full audit.

This is a bad idea. I will say, however, that I did *not* vote on this GR:
strapped for time, I read the original call for votes as something trivial
-- just some janitorial work to the social contract that did not change
anything meaningful. The proposal failed to include a summary of the
changes or even something like a wdiff(1) of the two versions.

I'm sure that in light of this thread, if the vote were to be re-done, the
results would be significantly different.

--
Joshua Kwan