On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:56:09PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> As this is no longer limited to "software", and as this decision was
> made by developers after and during discussion of how we should consider
> non-software content such as documentation and firmware, I don't believe
> I can justify the policy decisions to exempt documentation, firmware,
> or content any longer, as the Social Contract has been amended to cover
> all these areas.
>
> As such, I can see no way to release sarge without having all these
> things removed from the Debian system -- ie main.
>
> This will result in the following problems:

You forgot one other thing.  We'll also have to strip **ALL**
**FONTS** from Debian, since fonts come in binary form, and we don't
have anything approaching the "preferred form for modification" for
fonts.  In particular, the Truetype Bitstream Vera fonts which were so
generously donated by Vera was generated not only using propietary
source files, but also using propietary non-free programs.

> 	* debian-installer will need to be rewritten to support obtaining
> 	  non-free firmware but not other non-free packages

The debian installer will also need to be rewritten to support
obtaining fonts from non-free sources as well, and we will need to
move xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base, xfonts-scalable, to
non-free.

What Fun.

						- Ted