> making something useful for their users have their choice of either
> (a) trying to see if they have the votes to shut-out the fanatics, (b)
> try to build something useful that uses Debian as a base, and leaves
> the insanity behind, or (c) join the Fedora project, or some other
> distribution.

I'm going to see how Steve Langasek's proposal fares.  If it doesn't
fare well after a vote (or appears to not fare well) I'm going to start
thinking seriously about coming up with a 'custom debian distribution'
based on a subset of packages in testing.

What sucks about it is that it takes time away from working on
unattended installer things that I wanted to investigate in d-i or build
more stuff on autoinstall.  Instead I have to compile a good list of
packages we use and figure out (from the BTS, hopefully) what major
known bugs are going to hurt us and what sort of work its going to take
to make our uses livable within the constraints.  I'll have to train at
least one of our student workers on being, essentially, a Debian
Developer.  Luckily we have such resources.

In any case, I would hope that sometime this summer I can start
upgrading machines.  It's going to happen.  My users will not tolerate
another year -- even with backports, the overhead becomes greater the
older woody gets.

I'm not going to run off to Fedora -- I don't yet believe that they have
full technical freedom as a community.  However, most of this feeling is
based on anecdotal evidence.

But yes, pragmatists are still here, for now.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> KC0OBS  http://www.ringworld.org/