Re: Social Contract GR's effect on sarge

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:02:28PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> I am not ins the habit of sending personal email to people when
> talking about Debian issues. I have asked your fellow committee
> member, don Armstrong, frequently over the last month or so on IRC,
> as well as asking the DPL in the same forum. Niether had anything
> concrete to report --nor, as I can see, do you, apart from the
> unwavering belief that it shall all work out in the end.
>
> Nothing has changed in the last 6 months.

You've said that you're uncomfortable having a private discussion
about Debian issues. I respect that position.

The fact remains, the conversations about the GFDL so far have private
and I don't feel comfortable broadcasting them publicly until every
participant has agreed that it's a good time to do that.

You decided to not give yourself access to all the information
available and then you've claimed that nothing has changed and that we
have nothing to go on except for faith. You're drawing conclusions
without all the information available. The people with more
information are, in general, more optimistic than you. Perhaps their
optimism stems from knowledge rather than faith.

> > In fact, you told me last fall you weren't interested in having this
> > information privately.
>
> 	I am not in the habit of signing NDA's for information
>  relevant to Debian.

I see a difference between signing an NDA and respecting the privacy
of a private discussion. I'm not going to sue you if they post my
private email on a webpage; I'll just be disappointed.

If someone tells me something in confidence, I'll ask the same when I
pass this information on. Debian has a private mailing list for this,
among other, reasons.

As I said before, I'm pushing as hard as I can to get a public
statement. I don't see what more I can do in my position. It's not
position I would have chosen to be in. :-/

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill