Re: ppc64 port

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:09:08AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> But the first thing to have is a 64 bits kernel. That we really want. For
> that, we need to be able to build it. So the first thing that need to be done
> is to have a biarch toolchain. gcc 3.4 can be compiled biarch, but doing the
> "initial" biarch build is very difficult. Once you already have the 2 glibcs
> installed, it's simply a matter of rebuilding each bit normally, but if you
> don't, the initial "bootstrap" is a can of worm.
What about bootstraping and packaging a "kernel only" ppc64-linux-gcc
for the beginning. This would be sufficient for kernel builds and it
doesn't need a glibc at all. We need something similar on the mips for
mips64, so this could be shared.
This could probably be done before sarge's release, while adding a 64bit
glibc for powerpc/mips almost certainly can't.
Cheers,
 -- Guido