On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 23:46, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:48:50PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > For those of us on -legal, who have been discussing this (often against
> > near-silly levels of opposition) for upwards of 4 years now, this did
> > not go "straight to a vote". For me, it was a reassurance that things
> > were finally moving forward towards getting non-free stuff out of main,
> > and should have been done about a year earlier than it was (except for
> > the fact that the two other GRs relating to the SC needed to pass
> > first).
>
> You seem to be indicating then that you wanted the latest GR to make
> substantive changes? If only editorial, why would you expect this GR to
> cause any particular events?

I certainly didn't expect it to cause *this* event. I considered the
disambiguation of the SC to be a service to Debian's users and to other
organizations.

Participants on -legal (and the proposers/seconders of this GR) over the
past few years came to the conclusion that the DFSG applied to all works
in Debian. There was little objection to this, and although a "new"
flamewar sprang up periodically over it, convicing arguments were never
made from the other side, and in fact usually *more* people supported
that interpretation after the discussion than did before it.

Thus, to me, this GR was to be an effective method of in the future
simply pointing such people to Debian's disambiguated policies, and
avoiding the word 'software' (which has certain inaccurate
preconceptions) from that point on.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>