On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 05:22, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:22:50AM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:31:15AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Usually it refers to changes that clarify the meaning without changing
> > > that meaning. I'd be interested in hearing your definition, since you
> > > seconded the GR.
> > Yes, this is exactly my point of view, too.  And I think
> > this is what the GR did.  But somehow, strangely, the
> > release manager thinks that the meaning did change.
> >
> > > I'm stunned that this GR passed. ...
> > You should not be.  Debian is about freedom, so we
> > should struggle to not distribute non-free items.
>
> No, nor do I propose that we continue to do so indefinitely.
>
> Do you believe that the GR has had no effect other than editorial?
> Or simply that the change is a good thing anyway?
>
> I was stunned because I didn't think this proposal was ready for a vote.
> It needed more development and discussion. It was proposed on
> debian-devel that the GR be discussed and dissected item by item, but
> that never occurred - instead we went straight to a vote.

For those of us on -legal, who have been discussing this (often against
near-silly levels of opposition) for upwards of 4 years now, this did
not go "straight to a vote". For me, it was a reassurance that things
were finally moving forward towards getting non-free stuff out of main,
and should have been done about a year earlier than it was (except for
the fact that the two other GRs relating to the SC needed to pass
first).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>