On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:47:42AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> [snip]
> > > The human brain is way too limited for that task. Just explain me
> > > how your brain interprets a bitstream which represents a JPEG of
> > > non-trivial size. :-)
> >
> > Not particularly well, but I'd imagine that there are people out there
> > who wouldn't have that much trouble with it. Moreover, while
> > difficult, it's not something that's inherently impossible.
>
> It is, simply because the human brain can't handle more than 7+-2 items
> at the same time ("The magical number seven, plus or minus two", may
> even show up some google results for it). So a human is rather limited
> WRT algorithmic complexity.

That's bogus. A digital logic circuit can't handle more than two items
at the same time, but has little problem with algorithmic complexity.

You only need to visualise one image at a time to interpret JPEG
anyway. It's a really easy algorithm (something based on lempel-ziv
compression, like PNG or GIF, would be much harder, due to the huge
dictionary space).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |