Re: Social Contract GR's effect on sarge

Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> writes:

> Is this GR actually intended to say that source must be available for all
> data?  I only see it saying that all data in Debian must be Free, which
> is what the social contract already said.

The current point of view, expressed here and on -vote and -legal,
seems to be that there is no different between Data and Programs.  So
the Social Contract can't say Data has only be Free (which doesn't
necessarily mean that there is Source Code) and Programs have to be
Free (which means that there actually is Source Code).

> It doesn't seem to actually change anything at all,

Anthony thinks it warrants a change in the release plan for sarge.
I'm not sure if there is any change in the meaning of the document.
(This was the reason why I voted against the change, BTW.  I couldn't
understand its implications it and still can't.)

> If this GR actualy changed anything, and "remain 100% free software" meant
> something different than "remain 100% free", then there must be something
> in Debian which is not software.  I believe that's false.

In this case, the DFSG have to apply to Data, not just to Programs,
and we have to seriously consider the issues about Postscript files,
bitmaps etc.

> I don't see how it could affect the release.  Was the previous
> release plan really based on an argument that "software" does not
> include firmware and documentation?

No, it was based on the assumption that our users are served best with
a release along the woody interpretation of the Social Contract and
the DFSG, and that these issues should be resolved at a later date
(but they still have to be addressed after the release).

At least that's my understanding of the situation.  I could be wrong.

>> > Releasing sarge with a documentation shortage is probably the only
>> > option.
>>
>> This is not an option at all.
>
> Of course it is.  Documentation doesn't become unavailable by being
> moved to non-free.

non-free is not part of Debian.  Oh my, this looks more and more like
a conspiracy to blur the line between main and non-free. *sigh*

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: atlas.cz, bigpond.com, di-ve.com, netscape.net,