Re: Texinfo vs man (was: Re: Debian GNU/Linux Reference Card under construction)

>> And that's all documentation there is.  Your assignment: write a
>> simple parser using yacc.
>
> Bullshit.

The argument was: terse documentation good, underlying concepts bad.

> The manpage in question documents _compiler_, not the language.

My point exactly!  The info pages describe both, which I argue to be
good thing.  What would be your preferred stategy to complete the
parser assignment, given nothing but a (Free)BSD system?

> BTW, do you really suggest that info gcc is a good (or even
> realistic) way to learn C or, better yet, C++?

I think it would be a great thing if we had good C and C++ tutorials
available in info.  And I think info would be a better choice for such
a tutorial than man.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter