Re: Debian GNU/Linux Reference Card under construction

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:52:26PM +0200, Thorsten Roggendorf wrote:
> I'm probably a bit late, but I have a few suggestions (the card is great
> btw):
>
> - You might want to mention the info command in the Getting Help
> section. info can fully replace man, if no info page is found on the
> system a manpage will be displayd, but if there is, it's often much more
> useful (e.g. info find). info is to man what less is to more.

Warning: religious issue detected.

FWIW, this isn't true: man -k; man uses your preferred pager while info
has its own built-in (and fairly sucky) one; man can format man pages to
PostScript etc.; I don't see a way to specify a manual section to info;
does info *really* handle non-ASCII encodings better than man currently
does?; and so on.

Manual page viewing is a simple hack in info, but it doesn't replace
man.

Cheers,