Re: is it OK for invoke-rc.d stop not to stop?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > BTW, anyone using start-stop-daemon -exec for *stop* fix your scripts
> > immediately.  NEVER USE -exec FOR STOP.  If the binary was prelinked, or
> > upgraded, or changed in any way since it was started, -exec will cause it
> > not to be stopped.
>
> I disagree.  If you're doing any one of those things, you should've
> stopped the daemon before that and restarted it afterwards.

There is no functionality in Debian to do so, AFAIK.  Any daemons that use
an interperter like perl have the same problem with any updates of perl, for
example, even if no prelinking is taking place.

The functionality COULD be written, of course.  But it is far more complex
than using something other than -exec.  And packages like perl and prelink
would have to be the ones implementing the "find all services that I will
screw up, and stop them", not the daemon themselves -- even if the daemon
packages help with a "perl-upgrade-hook.d" entry (for example).

Stuff like prelink would have to find the service from the pid and process
data, which ain't easily doable.

  Henrique Holschuh