Re: more evil firmwares found

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:46:51AM -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:
>     AT> This issue can be resolved either by removing the firmware and
>     AT> the driver, or by separating the firmware out from the kernel.
> ...or by determining that there's no other preferred source format,
> right?
> We wouldn't just take stuff out based on the _assumption_ that there's
> a better source format, without contacting upstream?

Yes, of course we would. The presumption in copyright is that you don't
have permission to redistribute unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

If you can demonstrate that the preferred form of modification of the
firmware is available and in the kernel, then that's great. Please don't
go around and encourage firmware developers to lie about this though; we
have a perfectly adequate way of dealing with this that doesn't involve
compromising our integrity, their integrity, or the integrity of the GPL.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/