Re: more evil firmwares found

* Nathanael Nerode

| May I repeat that I have two fairly new computers in this house which do not
| require non-free "firmware" downloads?

Please, single sampling point is useless when it comes to statistics.
So running about claiming that you don't need it, well, it doesn't say
anything about whether our users will need it or not.

| People claimed DSL modems, but turned out to be wrong (there are
| black-box ethernet-bridge implementations).

They require the DSL to be set up differently from the ISP's side if
you are going to do bridging.  Sure, there are hardware routers
available, but they're useless when it comes to a lot of what I need
to do.  (For instance.)

| "Debian will Remain 100% Free Software".  Article *1* of the Social
| Contract, which comes *first*.  Also, "Our Priorities are Our Users *and
| Free Software*".  Distributing non-free software in main may help some
| users -- I think most people will agree that it does *not* help the cause
| of Free Software.

Not everybody agrees that it's software.

| Or maybe you just want to ignore or misinterpret the sentence
| "Debian will remain 100% Free Software".  That means "nothing but Free
| Software", by the way.

: tfheen@yiwaz ~ > apt-cache show bible-kjv-text | grep -E 'Section|Description'
Section: doc

I didn't think the Bible was software, but that might just be me.
Main isn't just software.

(Sorry to reawake this thread.)

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-