Re: DEBBUILDOPTS and debian package

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 02:10:17AM -0400, James Morrison wrote:
>   I'm currently building gnome 2.6 on sparc using pbuilder with the following
> DEBBUILDOPTS="-mcpu=ultrasparc -m32"
>                                ^^^^
>
>  For anyone familiary with the current sparc setup this ensures I get 32 bit
> binaries out of pbuilder

I was under the impression that you were meant to build sparc packages
under the sparc32 program.

You might also want to look at pentium-builder, despite its name.

> and if I don't then DEBBUILDOPTS isn't being used by the package.  So
> far I've run across about 3 of these packages and I expect to find
> many more as I go through.   I don't know how pbuilder passes
> DEBBUILDOPTS down to the build so I don't know how dpkg-buildpackage
> takes extra arguments and passes them to debian/rules, so my bugs so
> far have been a bit vague.

I'm amazed that it ever works. pbuilder just tacks DEBBUILDOPTS onto the
end of the dpkg-buildpackage command line, and -m to dpkg-buildpackage
means "set the maintainer address to this". It's not a place where you
can put compiler options.

> p.s. please keep me cc'd.

A Mail-Followup-To: header would help there.

Cheers,