Re: please release sarge instead of removing binary firmware

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:08:38AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> People seem to be assuming that we need to build all this binary
> firmware from source.
>
> That's not really true.  We need to have the source.  We need to have
> the tools for turning that source into binary code.

Uhm, that last bit is an escalation. From reading the discussion, I was
under the impression that we just want to have the source, and not being
able to compile it.

AIUI, these binary firmwares are usually generated using proprietary
tools, so requiring that we also have the toolchain to transform the
source into the binary will be next to impossible to satisfy for all the
drivers I guess.

Further, I think the GPL does not mandate the licensed program to be
buildable in a non-tainted environment (cf. bootstrapping), so just
having the PFOM (preferred form of modification[tm]) should be enough
for those firmwares, I believe.

Michael

--
"I love chemistry, and the effects it has on me."
                -- Amaya Rodrigo