Re: please release sarge instead of removing binary firmware

    Blars> In article <[🔎] 20040414230835.GD6938@lifeintegrity.com>
    Blars> allanwind@lifeintegrity.com writes:

    >> Broadcom (and others) probably want their drivers distributed
    >> by Debian, so they can sell their products.

    Blars> If they want them distributed under the GPL or linked with
    Blars> GPL code, then they need to distribute the source for thier
    Blars> drivers.  I'm sure Debian can make space for the source,
    Blars> even if it requires non-standard tools to build.

People seem to be assuming that we need to build all this binary
firmware from source.

That's not really true.  We need to have the source.  We need to have
the tools for turning that source into binary code.  We do not need to
actually use those tools.  Just as it is acceptable to include
configuure scripts rather than running autoconf all the time, it would
be acceptable to keep binary blobs.

--Sam