Re: more evil firmwares found

Norbert writes:
> Thus Debian shouldn't run on hardware which requires non-free binary
> firmware?

The discussion is about what Debian chooses to distribute, not what users
choose to run.  From the DFSG:

     We won't object to commercial software that is intended to run on
     Debian systems, and we'll allow others to create value-added
     distributions containing both Debian and commercial software, without
     any fee from us. To support these goals, we will provide an integrated
     system of high-quality, 100% free software, with no legal restrictions
     that would prevent these kinds of use.

The presence of non-free software on a user's system is none of our
concern, be it stored on disk or in ROMs.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)