Re: more evil firmwares found

Norbert Tretkowski writes:

> * Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> > No, the point is that most people do not care if a firmware has to
>> > be uploaded by a driver instead of being flashed in the device.
>>
>> Most people do not care whether their software is free or not.
>> Debian does.
>
> Thus Debian shouldn't run on hardware which requires non-free binary
> firmware?

I will admit to making arguments more zealous than I believe in, in
order to get clarification from others, but that suggestion is totally
contrary to software freedom.  Debian does not define itself as a
proponent of open source, but of free software: software that gives
users freedom to do things, even if Debian does not think they are
productive.  Debian is not required to support that hardware, but it
is against principles to refuse to run on such hardware: if a user
wishes to compromise his freedom, he may, but Debian should not
compromise on his behalf, and should not take away that choice.

Michael Poole