Re: The useless "sid" tag

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:22:11PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 06:40:56PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > Am I the only one under the impression that the "sid" tag is completely
> > useless?

> > Unless the testing scripts start to add to all bugs in a packages
> > tagged "sid" also a tag "sarge" when a version of this package enters
> > testing I don't see much value in the "sid" tag.

> The whole class of tags is not particularly useful; they are a temporary
> substitute for proper version tracking in debbugs (which Colin Watson is
> implementing).

In general, this is true; however, see my example of severity: grave
bugs that only exist in unstable and not in testing because of package
removals that are in progress.  I've filed a number of such bugs in an
effort to speed library transitions along, and they are not necessarily
grounds for removing a package from testing.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer