Packages with un usable documentation

To solve my mkinitrd problem I searched for solutions. Each time someone
has run into my problem he was asked if module-init-tools are installed
and each time it was answered yes. Unfortunately also each time no
further action is mentioned.

I looked into module-init-tools to find out what's doing. First I tried
"man module-init-tools" which didn't work. Second I looked into
"/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools" just to discover there is just
useless common facts. Third I started dselect and read the package
description which didn't help further.

Shouldn't packages which don't provide any useable information in one of
these three locations marked as broken with a grave bug?

IMO the best way is to have a "man <packagename>" which simply gives
links and hints to where to look for more information, a man file with
just a "SEE ALSO" section. Each package which doesn't do this should get
an important bug.

IMO a must in any case is a "/usr/share/doc/<packagename>/README.debian"
which lists all possible "man ..." of this package. Each package which
doesn't do this should get an serious bug.

Some packages provide useful information within the description files.
Therefore long ago I've made a "dsc2man" which simply creates man files
from the descriptions. It's up to any maintainer if he wants to create
man files this way (see "http://dpartialmirror.sourceforge.net/";).

O. Wyss

--
See "http://freshmeat.net/projects/wxguide"; for application design