Re: [custom] Updated docs regarding meta package building

    Andreas> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
    >> The bottom-up approach you suggest is definitively the way to
    >> go. Of course that the best suited people to provide the
    >> knoppix-* packages are the Knoppix team itself.  Are they
    >> already working to something like this?
    Andreas> When I did a workshop on LinuxTag Karlsruhe last year
    Andreas> Klaus Knopper was present and regarded it as a really
    Andreas> cool idea.  He would definitely support efforts in this
    Andreas> direction but he admitted that he does not feel competent
    Andreas> enough regarding Debian packaging and his time scale does
    Andreas> not permit to work in this direction.  Moreover Fabian
    Andreas> Franz (who is busy writing the harddisk installer for
    Andreas> Knoppix and some other Knoppix related stuff) was
    Andreas> successful in implementing the bottom-up approach for
    Andreas> PowerPC.  BUt this was more or less a design study and
    Andreas> Fabian told me that he has time constraints to continue
    Andreas> working on this topic.

    Andreas> There were some other people interested and did some
    Andreas> stuff which might be a good start, but all in all it is
    Andreas> currently not much more than an idea ...

We shall start discuss about this both  with the knoppix team and here
on debian-devel.

You already  know Klaus Knopper,  so  it would be   great if you could
write directly to him, reminding the talk you  had and pointing to the
Live CD section of the CDD paper.

Then we see what happens..

    >> Moreover this confirm my impression that there are many people
    >> around working independently on similar issues more or less
    >> related with what the CDDs are all about, but without knowing
    >> each other.
    Andreas> Definitely!  My main concern is to fix this in the first
    Andreas> place.

Yes, I agree. Let's keep it on!

Cheers,

Free