Re: Getting newer kernels into stable

Scripsit Andrew Pollock <debian-lists-2004@andrew.net.au>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 04:14:16AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Even if we issued an empty transition kernel-image-2.6.4 to pull in
> > 2.6.6 (which is dangerous in and of itself), apt-get would not
> > actually upgrade unless it gets 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

> However, if a newly installed stable system installed the kernel-image-2.6
> virtual package, an apt-get upgrade would upgrade the kernel if this virtual
> package subsequently depended on kernel-image-2.6.6 instead of
> kernel-image-2.6.4 (which is another spin on what you're saying above,
> anyway).

(Hm, this makes more sense if you mean "meta-package" rather than
"virtual package, right?)

Is this some new magic capability of apt-get? What exactly triggers
it?  I thought that the distinction between ordinary packages and
meta-packages was just in the heads of the developer and user (and
also in the long description), but not actually known to any of the
package-management tools.

My own experience is that 'apt-get upgrade' will just refrain from
upgrading a package if the new version depends on a package that is
not already installed on the system.

--
Henning Makholm            "We can hope that this serious deficiency will be
                      remedied in the final version of BibTeX, 1.0, which is