Re: testing and no release schedule

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 06:25:43PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:

> Personally I have been unable to install Debian stable, using b-f, on
> my last ~ 6 systems.

Hi,

I've seen you say this a couple of times, without mentioning what
hardware this was.

For what it's worth, I bought a Celeron 2.4GHz system a couple of weeks
ago, and managed to install woody on it (from CD).  I did have a problem
whereby the 2.4 kernel on there just couldn't detect my CD drive and
thus wouldn't offer it as an install source. I couldn't figure out why
this was so, and just ended up installing the 2.2 kernel to get base
installed.

I agree it wasn't trouble-free, but it's ironic that the problem was the
2.4 kernel and not the 2.2 kernel.  Having said that, 2.4.25 could
detect the CD drive.

Anyway, the important thing is that I'd like to know what hardware this
is that makes woody uninstallable on systems such as yours. Maybe I'm
just lucky with my hardware choices and you're unlucky, but it'd be nice
to know.  Perhaps we can make a list of hardware/chipsets unsupported by
woody.

--
    Vincent Ho
loki /at/ internode.on.net

Every complex problem is a simple hierarchy of simple problems.