Re: testing and no release schedule

Chris Cheney wrote:
> I don't know if I have publically stated that I don't care about
> releases, but with Debian releasing as slowly as it is stable is of very
> little value to anyone unless they have systems roughly 6mo-1yr older
> than the release itself. This is primarily due to the fact that the
> installer is never updated with newer kernels. Personally I have been
> unable to install Debian stable, using b-f, on my last ~ 6 systems.

FWIW, updating the installer for newer kernels (minor releases and
eventually swapping default from 2.4 to 2.6 (if we get 2.6 support in
time for release (hint.))) is something I seriously plan to do with d-i
after sarge is released, stable RM willing. There are various things in
d-i's design and infrastructure that aim toward making this slightly
more doable than it was with boot-floppies. This includes using kernel
debs, and being able to autobuild images.

Of course this won't help the X situation with new hardware one bit. :-/

--
see shy jo