Re: testing and no release schedule

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:44:08PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 05:21:59PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Several maintainers are on the record as not caring about releases at
> > all - unstable meets their needs.
> But our priority is not the developers' needs.  Our priorities are our users
> and free software.  Our users need frequent stable releases.  Developers
> who state openly that they do not care about releases are in violation of
> the Social Contract.

I don't know if I have publically stated that I don't care about
releases, but with Debian releasing as slowly as it is stable is of very
little value to anyone unless they have systems roughly 6mo-1yr older
than the release itself. This is primarily due to the fact that the
installer is never updated with newer kernels. Personally I have been
unable to install Debian stable, using b-f, on my last ~ 6 systems. The
way I managed to install Debian was to use knoppix with debootstrap
which is definitely not friendly enough for a newbie or even the average
user. So Debian definitely needs to update its installer images as new
kernels are released, regardless of if it releases the whole
distribution faster.