Re: Proposal: /etc/friendlynames

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 15:00, Number Six wrote:

> Since I've identified myself as the author of tupim, I'm not any worse
> off getting a new package in than anybody else.  And since it's not
> going to be called 'pim', what's the problem?  If nobody will accept
> friendlynames (which, btw, I'm already almost finished with), then I'll
> just build my thing without it, put it on sourceforge, and point people
> to it.  I don't care if nobody uses it but me.  Which I've heard a time
> or two about Debian.

Have you heard about bash's tab completion?:
kurth@nimrod:~$ pi<tab>
pi-csd           pi-nredir        pic              pickdns-data
pidof            pilot-datebook   pilot-prc        pinfo
pi-getram        pi1toppm         pic2graph        pico
pilot-addresses  pilot-dedupe     pilot-schlep     ping
pi-getrom        pi3topbm         pickdns          picocom
pilot-archive    pilot-file       pilot-undelete   pinky
pi-getromtoken   pia              pickdns-conf     piconv
pilot-clip       pilot-foto       pilot-xfer
kurth@nimrod:~$
kurth@nimrod:~$ tu<tab>
(nothing...)

Okay, I have all this pilot stuff, but even without them, (I also tried
this on another host) you are still better off with tupim than with pim,
if you just want to save keystrokes. Which you already wasted in this
thread.

Greetings,
Oliver