Re: Proposal: /etc/friendlynames

Number Six <40311.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> will also be known as 'pim'.  Nobody's hurt, everybody wins.  People who
> hate it just won't install 'friendlynames'.

OK, you know that most users used to type 'pim' for a given program will
understandably think they are using 'pim', which will confuse many
people, but you really want to troll and pollute -devel. I cannot stop
that, unfortunately, but I can ignore you from now on.

> See, that's that "800-pound gorilla" mentality at work: you are not
> prepared to accept for some people what is blatantly around for others
> (i.e., posix "file").

You know, POSIX is not exactly insignificant on Unix.
<sarcasm>Not everyone comes from Microsoft.</sarcasm>

> I'm not trying to be anonymous.  My name is Tom Ballard, it's all over
> the place.  I'm doing it out of a sense of freedom.  Freedom to conform
> is useless.  It doesn't hurt you, don't tread on me.

Ahah? Would you mind if I cited a message of yours?

,----[ Tom Ballard, aka Nano Nano, aka Nunya, aka Number Six ]
| > PS  Why don't you sign your messages with your real name Tom Ballard?
|
| "Just because."  -- I like random behavior.  It trips up dumb scripts
| and makes 'em work a little harder.  "Why not?"
`----

(http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200312/msg01700.html)

What kind of dumb scripts were you talking about, if all this is not
aimed at remaining more or less anonymous?

*plonk*

--
Florent