Re: more overly-generic package names from gnustep

Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> schrieb:

> Hello Florent!
>
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:22:17AM +0100, Florent Rougon wrote:
>> [ The "GNUstep" directory in my home directory also sucks. Why does this
>>   project seem to think it can pollute every kind of namespace like
>>   this? ]
>
> If you don't like it then change it. Simply add something like
> GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=/home/fernst/.GNUstep/
> to your environment.

If it's that easy, then it's an even more annoying bug that this isn't
done automatically. I am not aware which application or package it is
that's creating this directory, so I have no idea how I could find this
solution. And this GNUstep stuff, whatever that is, really tries to hide
very well:

frank@alhambra:~$ apropos gnustep
gnustep: nothing appropriate.
frank@alhambra:~$ apropos GNUstep
GNUstep: nothing appropriate.
frank@alhambra:~$ apt-cache search gnustep
affiche - application to "stick" little notes on the desktop.
gnumail - A GNUstep Mail User Agent (clone of the NeXT/Apple's Mail.app)
gnustep-base-examples - Examples using the GNUstep Base Library
gnustep-base1 - The GNUstep Base Library
gnustep-base1-dbg - Debugging versions for the GNUstep Base Library
gnustep-base1-dev - Header files and static libraries for the GNUstep Base
gnustep-examples - GNUstep Example Applications
gnustep-gui0 - The GNUstep Gui Library
gnustep-gui0-dbg - Debugging versions for the GNUstep Gui Library
gnustep-gui0-dev - Header files and static libraries for the GNUstep Gui
gnustep-make - Basic GNUstep Scripts and Makefiles
gnustep-ppd - The GNUstep Postscript Printer Description
gnustep-xgps0 - The GNUstep Xgps Library
gsdict - GNUstep frontend to the dict UNIX utility
gworkspace - Workspace Manager for GNUstep
libproplist0 - PropList closely mimics the property lists found in *Step.
libproplist0-dev - C headers, static libraries and documentation for libPropList
preferences - GNUstep Preferences.app
libwings-dev - Window Maker's own widget set

Ah, there they are. Let's have a look:

frank@alhambra:~$ dlocate -l gnustep | grep ^ii
frank@alhambra:~$ dpkg -S /etc/GNUstep/
dpkg: /etc/GNUstep/ not found.            # that's a bug, probably in dpkg
frank@alhambra:~$

I don't even get an idea for which package I should file a
bug. Damn. Well, I know that wmaker is using it. But it hides it well.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie