Re: more overly-generic package names from gnustep

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:54:34PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> No, it won't clobber the symlink. dpkg will crash out and refuse to
> install his package.

Which is exactly what would happen if his app was named "tupim."  And we
would file a bug against his generic packag pim to start using the
/etc/alternatives/pim as well, because *he* is at fault for insisting on
the generic name, and I am trying to coexist.

If *I* shouldn't be insisting a generic name than neither should he.
If the bug is not resolved / won't be fixed, I mark my package as
Conflicts: JerksPIM and life moves on.

Since it's a mere accident that people think "pim" is generic and
"tupim" is not, writing some sort of coexistence policy in cases where
two or more people wish to use a name and requiring both to also use an
alternate name as well seems the only fair thing.